The Philosophy of Nikon Df

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
eastvillager
Contributing MemberPosts: 957Gear list
Like?
Re: You must have known...
In reply to philharris, 9 months ago

Phil the difference is the button and wheel combination of a D4 are designed to not take your eye away from the camera when shooting . It is actually the quickest and smartest way to adjust those options. The changing of most controls such as the mode wheel takes two hands and must be made with your eye away from the viewfinder. Not very efficient. You know the first Nikon digital SLR had a shutter speed dial and used an aperture ring on the lens. The D2 didn't. Why? Canon never made a transition camera like the D1. They went straight to all digital controls with no shutter speed dial or aperture ring lenses. The reason Nikon finally changed the D1 layout was because it doesn't work well. It's not efficient but it lets old film photographers feel comfortable with the old controls which they wanted to do with the D1 The DF's controls aren't even as efficient as the D1. Why because it's all about looks and not about giving the photographer the best control of the camera. It's like a dumb blonde that looks good but can't put a sentence together. If you want looks over function you picked the dumb blonde of cameras. So much for my posts about this camera. I'm tired of defending why I think it's a poor camera. Frankly I'm not the only one. Every review I've read or viewed was negative. Enjoy your camera. I hope it works for you.

philharris wrote:

eastvillager wrote:

I think Kai and Ming are just trying to make fun of the fanboys who like the DF. In reality the camera is a joke with so many problems it's hard to believe anyone would buy it. But to defend it is even more absurd and I think serious photographers or reviewers think people who defend the camera open themselves up to ridicule for being so naive. If I had a camera I loved I wouldn't be on here taking all the mud slinging. I had a Fujix100. I drank the cool aid and bought it and sold it in a month. It sucked. Slow and terrible focus. I didn't defend it. I said it was poorly designed. Many like on here defended it. I guess for some it's hard to admit you bought the hype and made a mistake. If I bought a DF and got blindsided by the Nikon brand I'd bite the bullet and sell it quick to recoup my money. With so many wonderful cameras out there such as the D4 and D800 which I own and use and the D610 which I don't but seems to be a bargain for what it gives you, you'd have to have drank the cool aid to be suckered into thinking the DF is nothing more then a complete failure. I use cameras for work. My D3 had 250,000 actuations when I bought my D4. Buying a DF sends a message to the camera companies that hype beats quality and I and many others think to support the hype by buying a misfit of a camera only encourages them to manufacture even more crap. Unlike the D4 and D800 there was no waiting list to buy the DF. Even though Nikon Professional Services sent out a blast to reserve one they were there for the taking since no pro wanted them. The D4 and D800 had waiting lists for months and months even if you were an NPS member. With the choices available no pro in his right mind would shoot with such a convoluted operating system that the DF employes. When I need to change controls quickly I need the buttons at my fingertips not some two handed juggling act of a camera. Sorry.

So could you explain which adjustment on your D4 or D800 takes only one button or wheel adjustment rather than 2 on the Df?

As far as I remember, adjusting ISO takes a button push plus wheel adjustment, as does exposure compensation, so in what way is the Df so much more difficult?

I have had the camera for a few weeks and find it as quick to use as my D800 when I want it to be. This tends to be what happens when you actually use something for a while.

I love the Df, and don't appreciate someone suggesting I have been suckered into buying it. The image quality is excellent and I find it very engaging to use, I understand you don't but there is no need to insult me for my choice.

P.S. Try using expressions like your cool aid one less often, I promise it will make you sound more intelligent.

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow