Have RF lenses had their day ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Re: Why the giggles?
In reply to JamieTux, 9 months ago

JamieTux wrote:

OK first caveat is that I've not owned actually an A77, I have used them but for my own kit I went straight to the A99 when I bought back into Sony - but most of these comments hold true for the A99 which I've used a lot.

The first point is though that it depends what you are using it for - I like the look of Sony files and love the Zeiss lenses, I also like the tiltable screen and like manipulating DR a lot in post for landscapes so my decision is easy ... If this was mainly a camera for birding though...

The 7D has very quick AF, very intelligent tracking, great metering, decent noise at high iso and a really neat 'spot' focus to peer through branches.

The A99 focus is much better than the A99 but it's still not at high end Canon or Nikon levels really (other than centre point). Like I said it's not any quicker than the A7r with the LA-EA4 with the same lens.

The 7D retains a lot of detail at low ISOs, it goes at higher ISOs (but the files are still pretty clean if you nail exposure). You also have a much bigger choice of lenses (the 400 f5.6 and Sigma 12-300 f2.8 spring to mind on sensible(ish) budgets). So if it were just for birding and wildlife I would choose the Canon personally.

Most of my work photography is people or products though so my needs are very different to a birders

Here are some of my personal shots with the 7D though if you're interested
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=98072442@N00&q=7d

For comparison, here's the first 400mm shot I found on flickr that I took with the A99 and 70-400 - conditions are fairly close to some of those Sparrows...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamestux/9629470453/

So for static(ish) subjects my Sony combo wins for me, I would expect the A77 to do pretty similarly at ISO 200 with the same lens

Thank you for your advice and sharing your images, it is very helpful...  those are some really beautiful pictures!

The sparrows are nice, and the eagle is really impressive!  I like sparrows: sadly they are getting a bit rare in the UK now but there are still plenty in Switzerland

Actually static subjects do fine with what I've got, it's when things start moving that the problems start!  Basically I either get a body to make better use of my 70-400 with birds/wildlife (I guess the A77) or sell the 70-400 and get both a dedicated body+lens in another system...  from what you say the 7D with either 100-400 or 400/5.6 would probably be the best option in this situation

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow