Shutter Shock a myth

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888Gear list
Like?
Re: It's not a myth, it's just that..
In reply to tex, 11 months ago

tex wrote:

...it's happening in a very narrow band of shutter speeds, about 1/50 to 1/125. And it can happen WITH the camera mounted on a tripod. It is a problem specific to long lenses, it appears, and it's also more evident when mounting to the tripod from the lens foot.

...And with adapters and non-Sony lenses, something many seem to forget!

I've seen the test results and I believe them.

I'll still buy the camera, since I don't use those focal lengths. I'm a little unclear why people who ARE using those focal lengths would buy an A7r---seems very much like the wrong body for the job even w/o a shutter shock problem. For long tele I'd either go with a stabilized, larger body with a better frame rate for handholding or for gimbal mounting. Seems very queer to me to deliberately choose a slow, small camera for this usage.

...Yes, pick the right tool for the job!

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

The pathetic thing - and not so funny because its unfairness - is to blame a brand/model for not being 100% usable/compatible with "some old" legacy or different manufacturer's lenses, a facility they don't get anywhere available to this extend/usefulness...

I guess, some like to complain about everything!

Best regards,
Pedro

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow