Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,588Gear list
Like?
Re: Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?
In reply to Colin Smith1, 10 months ago

The issue of resolution and dynamic range is moot...if those were the only two bullet points I would shoot purely MFT already.

These are the only true obstacles behind MFT for me.

Shutter shock issues at 1/60th to 1/200th shutter speed range...a range that is just too damn useful for me as most my shots fall in this range.  It often takes 'bite' off the 16MP sensor.  This can even be seen in Dpreview studio comparisons on a tripod, but is often worse in handholding and with IBIS depending on IBIS generation.  My E-PM2 was a shutter shock camera and I am not going to pay 1k for a premium version that does not absolutely *eliminate* this issue.

The GM-1 however has issues of its own with its electronic shutter having very slow 1/50th read out slower than Nikon 1s.  To this day I find the Olympus XZ-1 and all other variants as wonderful portable alternatives (I want to get a cheap Pentax MX-1).

Finally I get tons of lens choices with thinner DOF and lowlight ability for ridiculously cheap and certain choices are rather managable in weight/size.

Oh and I vastly prefer OVF over EVF.

Dynamic range and resolution are easy engineering problems.  Shutter shock with tiny/weightless camera bodies, quality lenses in smaller packages with cheaper prices, and quality EVFS etc are far more difficult problems.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
SureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow