Sony a7 and Panasonic GX7: Two Cameras sitting on my desk. Must return one.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
santiclaws
Contributing MemberPosts: 731
Like?
Re: There is no such thing as a perfect camera!
In reply to SMD79, 11 months ago

SMD79 wrote:

nevercat wrote:

And there is nobody on this forum that can tell you what camera is best for you. Looking at your main complaint about the A7, the solution might be the LA-EA4 adapter, you will win in fast AF and a lot of nice AF lenses in all classes.

Wait, so using that adapter (which I'd get for 40% off) increases the AF on the a7? I know there are some nice A Mount lenses for sure, but I didn't think that the adapter would actually speed up the autofocus on the a7. Any videos/reviews out there that prove this? That would be fascinating and worth considering for sure.

The adapter has its own internal focusing mechanism which does not rely on A7's AF mechanism. It uses a different AF technology than any mirrorless camera. It is the same technology used in every DSLR - Phase Detection Auto Focus. Every mirrorless camera uses Contrast Detection Auto Focus, which is slower. The adapter, of course, adds expense and size but the AF speed will be much faster than A7 natively and should be faster than the GX7.

And I also would not worry about image quality, the GX7 should be more than enough in that department. Unless you are making huge prints or just staring at 100% blowups on your screen for the sake of staring at blowups, telling the difference in image quality is very difficult. Also, to take advantage of top notch sensor quality you need top notch lens quality, which does not come cheap.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow