Sony a7 and Panasonic GX7: Two Cameras sitting on my desk. Must return one.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
SMD79
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: Rank your priorities
In reply to dlee723, 11 months ago

dlee723 wrote:

I would make a list of what matters to you from a camera (Resolution, High ISO performance, AF in different lighting, lens selection, lens cost, etc) and rank them in importance. Then just put which camera is better in each category. The camera with more important features should win.

On a related note, I was at medieval times (don't judge, date night) with the A7r with a 35/1.4 and GM1 with 45-150mm attached. The GM1 with lens weighs about 400 grams so it was lighter than carrying a full frame zoom. Not exactly the same as what you're deciding but the GM1 has the same sensor/processor and the A7r performs similar to the A7.

It's basically all low light shooting at that venue. For me the strengths of the A7r were high iso performance and general image quality. The depth of field differences of a full frame is also pretty big if you're trying to isolate a subject. Even though the lens was manual, I haven't had good results with low light AF using the A7r. The GM1 on the other hand performed quite well auto-focusing in low light situations. The lens size is also magnitudes smaller and lighter. (especially when you have to compare it to a 300mm ff lens) I was able to capture action shots like I was standing right next to them.

For me, image quality on still pictures is the number 1 criteria, so I use the A7r more often. But If I was interested in taking pictures of kids or use zoom lenses more often, I would probably use the GM1. I rarely carry both cameras and the way I decide is what's more important for me at the location I'm going. You've already made a similar type of analysis but maybe rank them in importance.

Good advice. And thanks for the related story. That actually helps. To me, right now, I'm more excited about shooting on the a7 only because yesterday I realized it's easier/faster than what I first experienced when I first used it. The challenge of full frame gets me more excited. I'm wondering if the 55 1.8 lens is faster to AF than the zoom simply because it's a brighter lens. (forgive me if brighter isn't the right word) Neither camera is daunting to me as I have extensive experience with video cameras which have the same basic principles when it comes to IRIS, Focal Length, DOF, gain, etc.

What's hard is that many posts here have said "if image quality is important go with the Sony"...well, yeah, of course it's important. But like you said, my main purpose is kids and second purpose is headshots (or my kid really as he's done a few commercials). The AF is important because he's a kid, and the DOF is important for the headshots. Beyond that, it's just getting used to one or the other. We're going to Universal Studios this week with another couple visiting from out of town so I figured I'd bring both, try not to annoy my wife too much with two cameras, and then come out with a really good idea of which one to keep.

Until then, all this feedback helps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow