Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132Gear list
Like?
Which comes first, the GX7 or the GM1?
6 months ago

To deal with my long term G.A.S. issues, I have a two year plan, with lenses first and bodies second. Am still enjoying my GF1 and G1, and have not grown out of them. Lots to learn still.

The plan has been a two body one, reflecting the m4/3rds two body system: bigger DSLR style body to balance longer lenses, and smaller body for pancakes and portability. My GF1 has been my go almost everywhere small body with the 20mm attached. Having long wanted a GF1 with a viewfinder, my next body was to be a GX7. Then the DSLR style comes next.

But Panasonic threw a wrench in my plans with the GM1 (and the EPM2 did as well) . We now have a three body m4/3rds system: small, medium (used to be the small one) and large. Maybe this calls for a new plan. Perhaps I can use the GM1 for 12-32, 20mm, and 15mm lenses, the GF1 and/or GX7 for medium sized lenses like the 25mm or the Sigma 60, and the G1/GH3 size for the 7-14 and 100-300.

The advantage of getting the GX7 first is the IBIS and the viewfinder, not to mention the better sensor and greater versatility of lens balancing. On the other hand, if "the best camera is the one you have with you," the GM1 gives new meaning to that aphorism. Carrying a camera would not be the "event" that even toting the GF1 is. I would be adding a body at the smallest level that I don't yet have.

So, I look forward to ideas of members of this forum for their ideas. Yes it is my problem, and no I am not asking you to decide for me. It is only G.A.S. after all. But I would be interested in your thoughts. I am not talking about other brands or models at this point, but focusing on these two bodies.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow