Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?
Re: Erm no...
In reply to tinternaut, 6 months ago

It may be the case that cameras with mirrors become a niche, but in my view 35mm format sensor cameras will likely become *more* common, and will likely become dominant in devices that are dedicated to photography (as opposed to multifunction devices with included camera functions - which will be the dominant tools people use to take pictures).  Dedicated cameras themselves will be the niche product, and in my opinion they will be segmented from phone cameras by large sensors.
The reason large sensors will become more common is simple:  they are getting cheaper, and this trend will continue.  If anything, we may see medium format sensor cameras becoming more common (relatively speaking - that is, within the world of dedicated cameras).

I think that mirrorless cameras will become more common among enthusiasts but there will always be a place for SLRs among certain segments.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
SureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow