Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Arved
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
Ye Olde Backup solution
8 months ago

Back in 2008, I decided on an iStarUSA 2 drive RAID box for backing up my photos:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215056

This worked fine with 1TB WD Green drives, although I knew the drives might not be the best for this application. I lucked out. Worked fine. A few years later, I decided to upgrade to 2TB drives. This time, Seagate Barracudas. Again, maybe not the best drive for this application, but again, I lucked out.

This past year, the 2TB drives were nearing capacity, so I decided to retire them and replace with 3 GB drives. This time, I thought better to use a NAS compatible drive, and went with WD Red 3TB drives.

Well, this is the end of the road. The 3TB drives aren't being recognized. Drives are good (when mounted in a drive docking station), so I figure it's the RAID box. iStar has discontinued it, and it doesn't look like they have a replacement. The kicker is, if I put back in the 2TB Seagate drives, it operates fine (once I get the box to recognize the drives - it's a bit finicky). Must be an old controller not compatible with >2TB hard drives.

I just want RAID 1 (Mirroring) for my backups. That is, I have a working data drive internally, and backup (with the SyncBack utility) with my RAID box providing 2 additional copies. Three copies of my files ought to be sufficient to weather any single drive failure.

My search skills must be faltering. I can't seem to find anything like an updated version of my RAID box. Have these fallen out of favor, or become obsolete? Suggestions are welcome.

In case it matters, my editing station (the "Desktop Darkroom") is an older computer. Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128496) with the venerable Q9550 CPU, 16GB memory, running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). I have (3) seperate internal hard drives. a 320GB for OS and programs, a 3TB data drive, and a 1TB scratch drive (shared for Windows and Photoshop scratch files).

Sorry for the long post - just wanted to include as much information as possible to avoid multiple question/answers.

-- hide signature --

- Arved
'Highlights next to shadows to create detail, depth, dimension and added color saturation.' - David Ziser

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow