Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290Gear list
Like?
Re: The Philosophy of Nikon Df
In reply to sgoldswo, 10 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

tissunique wrote:

Eastvillager, I agree. I've heard it said that the DF is a D4 at half the price. What absolute nonsense. And so untrue. In fact the DF is more expensive than the D4 and I'll explain why:
It lacks several features. It is not a 'pro' camera in the strict sense. It doesn't offer video. It's way smaller and of far lesser build quality. It is far less capable. It is far slower. And I could go on. When you add up all the minuses it's actually way more expensive than a D4 and just about every other full-frame camera out there. That's how silly it is. Now if it was 40% cheaper I would buy one but why should I when there's the D800 and D610 available from Nikon - both offering much more.

But what if I don't care about continuous shooting speed, don't want video, want a smaller full frame camera and the build is far better than my D600 (it is) and virtually on a par with my D800E (it is)

Actually, the Df adds a metal bottom plate to the D600 build quality but it still isn't on par with the D800E:

D600 - alloy top/rear but with plastic bottom and plastic subframe, including the area that the lens mount screws into.

Df - alloy top/bottom/rear but with plastic subframe, including the area that the lens mount screws into.

D800/D800E - alloy top/bottom/rear and alloy subframe, including the area that the lens mount screws into.

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow