Started 11 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
donovanbui
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Vietnam Pics: Excellent results w/ D610 and 1.8G primes
11 months ago

I traded the D700 for the D610 a few months ago, and now shoot with only the 28 1.8g and 85 1.8g. Though I was more than satisfied with the results, this trip to Vietnam has been the first real test of how the D610 handles as an all-purpose camera that the D700 was. For me, it has performed very well, so much that I don't miss the D700 at all (other than the button layout).

Before I get to my impressions of the kit, here are photos: http://www.donovanbui.com/StoriesandStares/Vietnam2/

After some pretty heavy usage, I find that the D610 is, for my style and needs, the ideal tool for documentary, landscape, and street photography. I use it for the exact same purposes I did with the D700 for the last 4+ years and I picked right up where I left off. It's an amazing camera for the price.

I know many wonder about the debris issues. Having only two prime lenses, I do change lenses a lot. Hopefully from my photos you can see I'm not the type to shoot walls at f/22, but just to humor some people, I did it anyway recently. Everything's normal; I don't think those on the fence about this camera have anything to worry about.

I think that the D610 can do just about any kind of photography, except for sports where I think its AF will be serviceable but not reliable enough. The AF here is just not up to par with the D700. Nonetheless, it's still very very good, and in low light it has performed excellently (I take a lot of night street photos). However, the outer points are unreliable, and for capturing any dynamic subject, they are essentially useless.

Thanks for looking!

-- hide signature --

www.donovanbui.com

donovanbui's gear list:donovanbui's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon D610 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow