still torn between m43 and Full Frame systems

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,670Gear list
Like?
ditto (more or less)
In reply to Gato Amarillo, 11 months ago

Gato Amarillo wrote:

Though I've been happy with m4/3 since 2008 and regular 4/3 back to 2005, as I started to order a GH3 I realized I would not be fully satisfied until I tried full frame -- even though I knew intellectually I don't need it.

Six months and $4,500 later I know as well as anyone can know that FF is not for me. The difference in image quality is utterly tiny, judged in a print or a finished online image, while the tradeoff in size, weight, cost and general cumbersome handling is huge.

The Yellow Cat takes the words from my mouth more or less. In my case, the path has been from APS-C DSLRs (Pentax and then Sony) to Sony APS-C sensor SLT (A77), to full frame DSLR (A850) and SLT (A99). And now to m43 (Olympus E-M1). But aside from the slightly different paths we've taken to m43, I could have written what el Gato has written above, about the reasons for trying full frame, and about the conclusions drawn from the experiment.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow