Would A7/R produce noticeably better results? (pictures)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fred Briggs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003Gear list
Like?
Would A7/R produce noticeably better results? (pictures)
6 months ago

I'm looking to lighten my load by changing from my current Nikon kit based around a D600 to a mirrorless camera.   I bought a NEX-6 to evaluate this type of camera, with a view to possibly investing in an A7/A7R if I get on OK.

I had an opportunity on a recent trip to visit friends in Holland over New Year to give the NEX-6 a work-out when we stopped in Antwerp for a couple of days.  I have the Sony 10-18mm f/4 which I really like and bought on the basis that I would also be able to use it (with limitations) on the A7/R.  The other lenses I have are the 16-50 and 55-210 which came in a kit with the camera.

The following pictures are examples of the sort of quality I am getting (all handheld).  Many of these were taken in Antwerp railway station which is an amazing building.  If you notice anything odd in a couple of shots it is because there was a model dinosaur on display which was difficult to avoid!

I posted some of these in an earlier thread but had complaints about an intrusive watermark, so have hopefully made it less intrusive this time.

I am fairly pleased with some of these pictures, so what I would like opinions on is whether you think I am likely to get noticeably better results with the A7/R, bearing in mind that I am not expecting to print at massive sizes.

Input from people who have upgraded from a NEX-6 or similar to an A7 would be very welcome. At the moment I am not feeling that going to FF is essential, and will probably wait and see what the next APS-C NEX type camera is like before deciding.

Fred

PS:  I believe the caption on the windmill at the end is the Dutch equivalent of Happy New Year!

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow