The Philosophy of Nikon Df

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
eastvillager
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
Re: The Philosophy of Nikon Df
In reply to Richard Murdey, 7 months ago

Just watched the Kai review and couldn't stop laughing with him at the absurdity of Nikon's effort. I'm a lifetime Nikon fan having owned an FM, FE, D1, D2, D3, D4, D800 and a few others I can't remember. I was never so disappointed with a Nikon effort since the D1 which was a piece of crap but it had an excuse since it was a long time ago and Nikon first digital SLR. I work as a photographer and use a camera to take photos for a living. I need a great picture, great handling and controls that are intuitive. Yes it might have a great picture but the dials are a joke, far from intuitive and counter productive. He already pointed out the shutter dial problems but underplayed the terrible undersized mode button which you have to pull up and turn while the letters are blocked by your fingers. grrrrr. I can turn a screw with my thumbnail but that doesn't mean it works well. The LCD window is a joke. Its a quarter the size of a D4 and the numbers are impossible to read easily and I have 20/20 vision. Those two things alone make the camera a loser. Add on the terrible focusing and lack of an aperture ring on the lenses and the camera is retro junk. If you want junk go out and buy a 1999 D1. The picture might suck but at least the controls work properly. Oh and yes I did shoot with the DF. I wanted to love it. I have the money to buy it but what's the point? I need to make images so I'll shoot with my D4 and D800. Now those are amazing cameras. My advice if you're thinking of buying a DF don't waste your money. Buy a D800! In a few years it will be retro and still a great camera.

Richard Murdey wrote:

In Japan, the Asahi Camera magazine come out last month with a special issue dedicated to the Df, called "The Philosophy of Nikon Df " (Nikon Df の哲学).

It's 132 pages of very glossy propaganda, presumably bankrolled by Nikon Corp. Photo spreads with all kinds of classic vintage lenses, interviews, and long sections delineating how all the control dials and style details trace back to classic Nikon film cameras. It was in that section that I noticed something that brought the reality home: in a two page essay talking about the design of the battery flap - I kid you not - there were about 6 comparison shots of the underside of various Nikon cameras showing the development over time. While shown to scale, the photo of the Df had been carefully cropped to remove the lens mount and rear LCD sections from the frame ... to avoid calling attention to the painfully obvious fact that the Df was almost comically fat in comparison to any of the film cameras it aped.

...facepalm moment...

The marketing for this camera is so pretentious, its borderline sickening.

I guess most people have seen Kai's take on the Df by now over a digitalrevTV. It's wicked, all the more so because it so accurately skewers Nikon's ridiculous hype machine. We've covered the size problem, but Kai does a great job of taking the control layout to task: pointing out that the shutter speed dial that becomes nonfunctional when in A or P modes. That's "fail" writ large, right there...

Step back a second, bear with me here:

The SLR camera control layout started with no meter, so you had aperture and shutter speed. Add a meter, you need to set the film speed. Then, it made sense to add an "A" setting to the shutter speed dial, and that, in turn led to the necessity of an exposure compensation dial. Finally the "A" setting was also added to the lens, for shutter priority and program auto. That's the control set of a modern, minimalist "retro" camera: ISO, EV, shutter speed+A, aperture+A. It works well. Exhibit A being the Fuji X100.

A modern, professional Nikon dSLR moves away from this entirely: two control wheels, mode dial, LCD and viewfinder display of shooting info, and "button press + dial rotation" for setting changes. The "classic" controls were dropped for good reason: the number of camera functions grew too large for it.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the two-dial setup. It is nice, though, to go back to "simpler times" and have just the physical aperture ring and shutter speed dial to set. Just not on the same camera! In a nutshell, that's the problem with the Df - it's built into its DNA, it's fundamental design brief to support four generations of Nikkor lenses : auto, Ai, AF, and G, straddling two different control paradigms. It is not possible to do that and at the same time have a clean, concise, straightforward, and intuitive control layout.

If the D4 sensor is so great, Nikon should put it in all the FX bodies. It's not like it costs any more than the one in the D800 of D600. (A D800x could be 36MP.) Then the D600 could be the "modern" small FX body, and the Df could have been the "retro" small FX body: no support for "G" lenses, no AF, split prism focus screen... I'm pretty tight-fisted when it comes to buying cameras, but I would have lined up for that.

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow