Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
joema1
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
Re: Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?
In reply to Colin Smith1, 11 months ago

Colin Smith1 wrote:

....As a wildlife photographer nothing offered to date can match the tracking AF of my 5D III, certainly not the OM E1 or the Sony...At the age of 67 traveling around the world as I do with heavy gear is becoming more of a burden...Anyone think that the day is coming when even pros and advanced amateurs will be satisfied with a smaller, lighter mirror less system.

A definition of obsolete is "no longer produced or used". The thread title is *Are* Full Frame SLRs Obsolete? (not will they someday be obsolete).

They are obviously not obsolete today, nor will be within the near future. That said, based on reasonable extrapolations of current technical trends, it appears at some point conventional full-frame DSLRs may be eventually replaced by mirrorless cameras.

Already I take a smaller camera on vacations. A few months ago I took a Sony NEX-6, and even though I didn't like the interface and handling, got some pretty good shots with it. But it was non-critical stuff, if I missed the shot it was no big deal.

When you see *mostly* mirrorless cameras used in situations like these, *then* you will know conventional full-frame DSLRs are obsolete: http://joema.smugmug.com/Photography/Canon-PJ-Screen-Caps/35809077_ztptHr

joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
SureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow