Have RF lenses had their day ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
Re: You are forgetting something...
In reply to parallaxproblem, 9 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

The A7/r bodies have a very different design philosophy from the earlier NEX series: NEX 'embraced' legacy lenses whereas the A7/r bodies are basically built to sell the expensive Sony FE lenses

Even the LA-EA3 and LA-EA4 don't provide particularly satisfactory connectivity to Sony's own A-mount glass, being effectively lazy updates of the LA-EA1 & LA-EA2 (both of which I own) which carry on unfixed all the annoying bugs of the earlier adaptors and provide neither PDAF compatibility with the LA-EA3, nor the newer, more advanced 19-point AF system on the LA-EA4

If Sony wanted you to use legacy glass on the A7 they would have released their full AF protocols to the third party adaptor builders: they haven't which is why the DEO tech Contax G adaptor still has shaky AF performance and the various EOS adaptors are seemingly rather slow in terms of AF. Sony would also have released an ultra-wide lens option in the first batch of lens releases since there are already plenty of good 35mm and 50mm RF lenses around, but they didn't...

Sony priced the A7 and A7r low with the expectation of recovering the margin on the lenses (the NEX series bodies were always comparatively more expensive). Of course Sony won't make it so easy for us to use third party RF lenses!

Maybe the A7/r replacements will contain sensors which perform better with legacy glass (after the development costs have been recovered somewhat by the first models and early lens sales), in the same way the NEX-5n offered big improvements in this respect over the NEX-5?

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies

I wouldn't go for the conspiracy theory.

i haven't used the adapters for A mount lens myself though.

Sony have mentioned a few times that they see the platform as good for other format lenses, and I see no reason for them to lie. Some people have been posting excellent results with other format and legacy lenses. My point is just about the relative cost of Leica lenses.

-- hide signature --

harold.co.il

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow