still torn between m43 and Full Frame systems

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,070Gear list
Like?
valid points
In reply to robonrome, 10 months ago

It's true that the best of the m43 sensors, typified by the GH3 and 16mp Olys, are noisy compared to the better full frame and even APS-C solutions. Sensor size does matter. This presents more of a technical challenge to the m43 user intent on producing the best image quality possible, as one must stay at low ISO and postprocessing becomes more or an issue. Not that I've mastered it.

It's also true that hauling around a FF camera and a 70-200/2.8 just isn't happening for me, having a (really) bad back. But I can carry my E-M5 along with the Panasonic 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, and 25/1.4 lenses fairly easily. I end up assembling a complete system (that's just my carry bag) no matter the platform, so systems I could only carry a piece or two of regardless of the inherent IQ stopped making sense.

This current generation of m43 sensors brought performance to the level where I sold my Pentax kit, and hopefully the next will make the choice easy for full frame users such as yourself as well.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow