still torn between m43 and Full Frame systems

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,397Gear list
Like?
Re: still torn between m43 and Full Frame systems
In reply to robonrome, 6 months ago

robonrome wrote:

Now for many, especially anyone making a living from photography, I can see having two systems makes sense as each has unique strengths… for me though I'm just an enthusiast, I can afford it, but I just don't take enough photographs to warrant such expensive gear languishing.

Hi Robonrome,

I'm in the same position as you, except that I have the E-M5 and a D700 (plus lenses).

If I were hard up I'd sell the Nikon gear, as it is it sits on the shelf most of the time.  While it may seem an extravagance to have so much expensive gear hardly used, for what I'd get used I don't feel bad about keeping it.

You shouldn't either.

I bring the D700 out for the odd formal shoot, like a neighbour's wedding or a local paper bit, and I know I'd miss it if it wasn't there.

As for your m4/3 gear, I also look enviously at the fully swivelling screen on the GH3 and may get one to replace my E-M5.  I thought I could get the E-M5 in a jacket pocket, but it's such a squeeze I've given up and have just bought a GM1.

So my plan is:

GM1 plus 12-32 permanently in jacket pocket.
GH3 plus lenses in bag for walking the local hills.
D700 sitting on shelf but used occasionally.

A lot of money tied up?  Yes, but spent over many years and this is my only expensive hobby.

-- hide signature --

Rens
There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow