Sony a7 and Panasonic GX7: Two Cameras sitting on my desk. Must return one.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
Re: There is no such thing as a perfect camera!
In reply to SMD79, 11 months ago

LA-EA4 is good for people who have existing A mount lens or need some specific lens, but you are building a new system, are you sure you want to be buying the adapter and building your system on A mount lens for your E mount A7?

I still think GX7 seems more suited for your needs, but I do understand you 'want' the A7, I've been in that situation before many times, good luck making the decision!

SMD79 wrote:

nevercat wrote:

And there is nobody on this forum that can tell you what camera is best for you. Looking at your main complaint about the A7, the solution might be the LA-EA4 adapter, you will win in fast AF and a lot of nice AF lenses in all classes.

Wait, so using that adapter (which I'd get for 40% off) increases the AF on the a7? I know there are some nice A Mount lenses for sure, but I didn't think that the adapter would actually speed up the autofocus on the a7. Any videos/reviews out there that prove this? That would be fascinating and worth considering for sure.

PersonalyI think the FF camera might be a big overkill for you, you could look at other offerings too, like the Nex6 or 7, a Nikon 1, or the Olympus OM-D 1 or 5.

Not gonna do the NEX7, wanted a EVF. NEX6 was okay but not thrilled with the lens offerings. Nikon 1 has the same issue I have with the RX10 and it doesn't have the video specs I'd like...and the Olympus cameras also fail in the video category. If the EM1 or OM-D had 1080p24 and 1080p60 then I'd really consider them, but until that happens, I have to rule them out. FF camera might be overkill for me today, but as a videographer looking to get into stills a bit more, I'm a fast learner. Even the last 24 hours I've come a LONG way in how fast I am with the Sony.

As for peaking, I love it. Use it lots in both MF and DMF modes. The two cameras seem to both work well with peaking but sometimes I hold the GX7 and think "eh, the Sony's peaking is better/more pronounced" and other times I think the opposite. Either way, its a great feature to have and it is the reason I'd consider getting a less expensive manual focus prime like the new 85mm 1.4 made for the Sony e Mount full frame cameras.

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow