Sony a7 and Panasonic GX7: Two Cameras sitting on my desk. Must return one.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
SMD79
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: Sony a7 and Panasonic GX7: Two Cameras sitting on my desk. Must return one.
In reply to zither, 10 months ago

zither wrote:

The answer is simple. If you would invest more lens in a long term future, A7 or Canon/Nikon FF camera is the way. With M43, no matter what premium lens, you will always peek full-frame sensor in your heart, but not vice versa.

In reality, if I were you, I would buy two (or as many as you can) A7, keep one for myself, and sell the rest

Yeah, the "this is my chance" to afford a nice FF camera keeps popping into my head. Now I'm down to 55% likely to keep the GX7.

As for the RX10, that's a nice option indeed especially for video, but my primary purpose is photos with this camera and I wanted the shallower DOF for portraits/headshots. There's a lot to like about the RX10, and I'm not sure how fast the AF is compared to these other options but I do know that the RX10 at 90mm f/2.8 (35mm equiv.) is roughly equal (in DOF terms) to my M43 45mm at f4. And I can go all the way down to 1.8 with that lens. Your post made me really reconsider everything since the RX10 does have several VERY nice features, but I think the shallower DOF and also portability of the GX7 and even the Sony a7 win out over the RX10's nice fast lens, long zoom range and great video features.

Again, I may sell the Sony and then get another one later. I don't feel comfortable buying and selling multiple cameras using my brother's account. One or two, maybe. But multiple...eh, not so much. (Though tempting for sure). He gets 25% off cameras and 40% off accessories, and occasionally there's an additional 10% off everything for like 1 or 2 days randomly. That's when I jumped on the Sony a7 just before Christmas when that extra 10% hit. ... Granted, I still have to find someone wanting to buy the camera/extra battery/flash but I don't think that should be too hard (I hope). I've already had 2 offers near full price, I just held off for the moment. We'll see.

Much still to consider.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow