The Philosophy of Nikon Df

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
VBLondon
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
Re: You must have known...
In reply to Simon Garrett, 7 months ago

Simon Garrett wrote:

You must have known that you'll get mightily flamed for saying this.

You're allowed to make minor criticisms of the Df, provided you say that on balance it's a great camera, and the world has been waiting for Nikon to bring us such a great camera and take us back to "Real Photography" as it should be. But to make fundamental criticisms of the UI is unacceptable.

You have to remember the Good Old Days factor. The Good Old Days, when Men were Men, and things were, well, just better. Always around 25-30 years ago. TV was great, the sun always shone, beer tasted better, and cameras were designed as God meant them to be designed.

Now, let's have no criticism of the Df from an obviously techno-freak point of view!

PS - my gear list tells you what camera I use, and I'm not about to change.

-- hide signature --

Simon

The irony is that no-one has "mightily flamed him".

Of course fundamental criticisms of the UI or any other fundamental criticisms are a normal and welcome part of a gear discussion on a gear forum.

What's odd about the Df, compared to any camera discussion I can think of, are three features of the fundamental criticisms some posters make

1. Inability to distinguish between the subjective and objective. The AF performance is more objective and its interesting and useful to understand how good that is. The UI is subjective to a good extent. The most vocal critics seem incapable of understanding that it's just a preference. The guy who claimed his hand would fall off is an extreme outlier....

2. Taking the subjective criticisms and escalating them to a silly level of getting angry at Nikon for daring to make such a camera and for being morons in not making it to the poster's personal spec.

3. Concluding from the subjective criticisms that anyone who has different preferences must conform to some ridiculous stereotype - boomer/hipster/latte-sipper. You've even added your own variety to the socio-segment labelling, "the Good Old Days"

It's really not that complicated. Some people prefer the UI, the D4 sensor, the lighter quieter body and the retro look to an extent that outweighs the price or any spec compromise.

However, the criticism borders on the hysterical. Just read the OP, he finds camera marketing "borderline sickening".

There's an odd psychology in people who react this way to a camera. Imagine if, when the D800 was launched, someone who didn't need a 36MP sensor had written

"I find the marketing sickening. The great majority of buyers of this camera are gear-head morons who don't understand that they will never see the "extra detail" in 99% of their output. It's just a cynical exercise on Nikon's part to send them on an ever-escalating frenzy of test chart analysis and upgrading to even more pointlessly "sharp" lenses. blah blah blah"

I don't think anyone wrote that sort of thing.

The odd thing with the Df is that it is obviously a niche camera compared to something like the D610. So it doesn't need anyone to get hysterical in their criticism to explain why they don't like it.

Any number of sensible criticisms are possible

- I don't like the style

- I don't like the UI

- I don't like the price

- I don't like the sensor

- I don't like the spec

Fair enough to any or all of those. Make massive, major, fundamental criticisms. But why does it need the emotional hysteria towards Nikon for daring to make it, and the stereotyping of those who do like it?

VBLondon's gear list:VBLondon's gear list
Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow