The Philosophy of Nikon Df

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,523Gear list
Like?
Re: You must have known...
In reply to Simon Garrett, 7 months ago

Simon Garrett wrote:

You must have known that you'll get mightily flamed for saying this.

You're allowed to make minor criticisms of the Df, provided you say that on balance it's a great camera, and the world has been waiting for Nikon to bring us such a great camera and take us back to "Real Photography" as it should be. But to make fundamental criticisms of the UI is unacceptable.

You have to remember the Good Old Days factor. The Good Old Days, when Men were Men, and things were, well, just better. Always around 25-30 years ago. TV was great, the sun always shone, beer tasted better, and cameras were designed as God meant them to be designed.

Now, let's have no criticism of the Df from an obviously techno-freak point of view!

PS - my gear list tells you what camera I use, and I'm not about to change.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon,

I came to older film cameras after using "regular DSLRs". I'm in my 30s. I prefer the older control paradigm and ergonomics of such cameras to modern DSLRs. When the Df was announced I was down on it because it wasn't small or retro enough! I wanted something the size of a FM3a. However, I was won over looking at the abilities of the sensor. Now, having bought it, I do prefer the controls and ergonomics of the Df to my D800E.

I don't think anyone sensible is claiming people aren't allowed to be critical, but some of the criticism borders on the ludicrous. Ming Thein was particularly guilty of this, it sounded like if he used the Df for a minute longer his hands would have to be amputated or they would spontaneously combust.

To paint everyone who likes the Df as being the same as a particular member who posts frequently is just ridiculous. We Df owners are all different and some of us genuinely think the camera is great.

Best

Simon

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow