Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JoSquared
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Amateur 6D review (and questions)
6 months ago

Been using the Canon 6D for a few weeks now. It's my first camera, picked for the nice DoF, good ISO performance, good skin tones, easy to use white balance Canon provides, and frankly I just don't wanna do the math for lenses:P

So far i've only used it at a friends, in 2 dimly lit rooms. I'm having a blast using it, tho sadly most of my images have been soft since I have to shoot between 1.4 - 2.2 aperture most of the night. Could also be the AF having a harder time in dark light, which is the reason I practiced manual focusing last time. The camera is extremely intuitive which is nice. Having never used anything above a phone camera prior to this, it was extremely easy to pick up and work thru the system. The ISO performance has been great in the low light, really saves me in some extremely dark situations. My 50mm 1.4 has produced much better images so far over the 24-105mm but from what i've seen so far the zoom is mostly for daytime shooting unless u don't mind shooting above 6400 ISO a lot. It's lightweight and I had no problem carrying it around all night which is a huge plus.

Found a few hot/stuck pixels from the last night I used it, but i've heard this is because of shooting in Live View mode. Never done it before, was trying to focus using the LCD and manual for the first time. They did only show up in preview until I zoomed tho, then they disappeared. Manually cleaning the sensor seemed to have fixed the issue for now. hopefully it doesn't happen every time.

Overall the camera is amazing, I could take pictures all night with it:) ISO is great for darker shooting, vid is good and I haven't had much moire issues yet. It's lightweight and easy to hold for a long time, and produces some beautiful images…at least to a nooby like myself. If anyone wants to look thru my Flickr in my signature and give any feedback, feel free. I'd appreciate any feedback good or bad:)

Also quick questions...

1. To get tac sharpness I heard I have to be at least 4.5 - 5.6 or higher, is that accurate? Seems like even up close my pictures have been pretty soft…or softer than the some photos I see where u can count individual hairs. Does it also come down to much better lighting than i've been working with?

2. I've been shooting in ALL-I. Is Magic Lantern even worth it for the 6D?

3. I've been doing adjustments in post only using Preview on Mac. For someone who digs a minimalist approach to most things, would Aperture be worth upgrading to? My main reason would probably be for some kind of denoise effect for the small ISO issues when I get really high.

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow