Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Sony Nex-6 & Lenses (Sigma or Sony?) - need advice on purchase options
9 months ago

I've decided on a Sony Nex-6 and for lenses I'm thinking about the Sigma 19mm f/2.8, the Sigma 30mm f/2.8, and the Sony 55-210mm. In general, I prefer using natural light when possible, don't take many portraits, lots of landscapes, and am not an absolute perfectionist. Any advice is appreciated that helps me get back into photography which I wandered from at the advent of digital. I'm tired of my nice point and shoot and am looking forward to the quality and control the Nex-6 and these lenses should offer.

I can buy a new Nex-6 and sell the (16-50) kit lens, leaving me with a $450 body. I'd then buy the mentioned lenses for about $525 for all three new. Total package, everything new, around $975.

Another option is a used Nex-6 (purchased in July, waiting on the shutter count from the seller) "Excellent condition, very light use, selling to upgrade to the Sony A7R" with a Sony 16-50mm F/3.5-5.6, Sony 55-210mm F/4.5-6.3 OSS lens, and a Sony 35 mm F/1.8 lens. I would sell the kit lens and use the proceeds to buy the equally priced new Sigma 19mm, keeping the Sony zoom and Sony 35. Total cost around $1000, give or take a little ($1k is my upper limit). I could also sell the Sony 35 for about $340, buy a new Sigma 30 for $145, and save myself about $200.

Seeking opinions on whether I should stick to all new, or is it worth it to go used/"Excellent condition" (w/ 2.5 years left on extended warranty) for the Sony 35 over the Sigma 30? I wouldn't mind saving $200 (most likely to be spent on a bag, filters, etc.) if the Sigma is just as good and have a used Sony zoom, Nex-6 body and new Sigma lenses. Saving $200/about 20% is nice but over the life of the system doesn't really matter if the Sony 35 is the "better"decision. Sort of leaning in the used direction if I can get for 1k or less, but unsure about Sigma or. Sony lens.

ironchefchris's gear list:ironchefchris's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow