IQ breakdown for birding lenses that won't break the bank?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,262Gear list
Like?
IQ breakdown for birding lenses that won't break the bank?
9 months ago

So i am planning what to pair my GX7 with when i buy at month's end. One lens i will not do without is the PL 25 F1.4. It is simply perfect for 75% of everything i do, and i will also be buying extension tubes ($50) to use it for macro since it is so freaking sharp. Down the road i will pick up the Panny 14mm for my WA, it will be last (along with a dedicated portrait lens) as i do less landscape than anything.

This leaves a birding lens, i insist on zooms rather than primes for this (the only time i insist on zooms honestly). Most decent birding zooms can, in a pinch, also double as a cheap portrait lens on the short end as well, but im still unable to compare all these options. According to the little MTF data i can find, the Panny 45-150 edges out the Oly 40-150, but neither are really long TBH. How do these compare to the Pany 45-200, 45-175, 100-300? In case you wonder why im not including Oly options here, i will also use it for video and i want the OIS for video.

Anybody have comparative experience between any of these, or at least advice on overall IQ? The only other alternative is to buy something non native with adapters (i actually have a Sony 75-300 already) but i'd prefer to keep AF and auto diaphram in tact. IQ however is the most important aspect, so if none of the above are exceptional then adapters may be the ticket. Thanks for any info here and feel free to speak your mind.

FYI i will not be buying any Canon L series glass as it is TOO EXPENSIVE!!  I will likely never spend $1000 for any lens as it is just a hobby.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow