Is it worth going from 60D to 70D if I don't do video?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Don Trust
Contributing MemberPosts: 523
Like?
Re: High ISO noise control?
In reply to Wayne Larmon, 11 months ago

Wayne Larmon wrote:

Don Trust wrote:

Wayne,

I have both the 60D and the 70D, but didn't have the decision problem you have since I specifically upgraded for the video. That was worth it, hands down.

So, about all I can offer you is this:

I have noticed a marked improvement in focus accuracy over my 60D, which was pretty darn good by itself. I have the 85mm F1.8, which wide open has a very thin DOF. It was always my most picky lens for that reason, since I used it wide open most of the time. (the main reason for having it) The 70D hits focus much more often than the 60D did. I'd say 95% of the time vs 75% of the time before. Of course, some of that could be me, but probably not.

This is the kind of advantage that is meaningful. So we are back in play.

Also, the focus tracking of the 70D is so much better than the 60D, at least in my experience. But then for me, that shows mostly with video use.

Oh, and all the reviews of the 18-135 STM are right. That is one nice lens. It pretty much lives on the 70D. The only time I take it off is when I know I won't be shooting video.

Maybe in play. Why do you take the 18-135 STM off for still shooting? This is what I wanted it for.

Wayne

Sorry.  Should have made that clearer.  I use the 18-135 for stills also.  I'll put on either  the 85mm 1.8 or the 35mm f2 when I want shallow DOF or if I'm strictly doing portraits.

The 18-135 STM does do great for stills, but it is limited to F3.5.  If it had a constant f2 it would be a perfect lens.  But then it would weigh 6 pounds and cost $2000

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow