Senior MemberPosts: 2,375Gear list
Like?
Re: Nice reply to a professional magazine wanting free photos
In reply to Basalite, 9 months ago

Basalite wrote:

sshoihet wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Battersea wrote:

A great answer to major magazine asking for free "professional high resolution" photographs but they say the poor little rich company cannot pay anything for them.

http://www.trishreda.com/blog/so-this-just-happened/3541/

It's a a rather silly response. Best to just say not interested and move on.

The majority of her response is aimed at other photographers urging them to value their work and not work for free, esp when someone comes to you, someone that is going to make money from your work. Towards the end of the article she provides some good advice for avenues to pursue if you do want to exchange work for exposure. I do a lot of work for free, almost all of it for charity and the rest I do because I feel there's something I can gain from the experience.

If we want corporate culture to value photography again we have to stand up for it and stop giving it away.

What that magazine is doing also existed during the film era. The lady responding may have good intentions but she is, I think, underestimating the intelligence of the people you say she is trying to address.

I think it's more likely that she's overestimating their intelligence... but in any case, I don't think  we should ever be apathetic just because we think our message might be wasted. I appreciate that she's passionate about what she believes.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow