Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Colin Smith1
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?
8 months ago

Writers on the Luminous Landscape http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/full_frame_myth.shtml have stated their belief that the age of full frame DSLRs is coming to an end for basically two reasons.  One, 16 meg micro 4/3s sensors have gotten very good in quality and noise reduction that they can now be printed to 16x20 (so why would anyone want the bulkier or heavier full frame DSLR ?) Second because the of the Sony mirror less full frame with excellent EVF.

I know I still value the low light, high ISO of my Canon full frames and the high quality of the lenses, not to mention the obvious advantages of an optical viewfinder in low light or fast movement..  As a wildlife photographer nothing offered to date can match the tracking AF of my 5D III, certainly not the OM E1 or the Sony.

On the other hand I wonder if I will always feel that way?  At the age of 67 traveling around the world as I do with heavy gear is becoming more of a burden.  If I ever do switch to a mirror less camera system, someone is going to have to make some good fixed focal length telephotos.  As for now, I assume the excellent quality of my photos would be hard to give up.

Anyone think that the day is coming when even pros and advanced amateurs will be satisfied with a smaller, lighter mirror less system.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Colin Smith1's gear list:Colin Smith1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
SureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow