Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,774Gear list
Like?
Re: They say it's lousy at 16mm:
In reply to Sol Invictus, 6 months ago

Sol Invictus wrote:

I tried to find some technical info on the term "that lens can't exploit the full potential of that camera/sensor". So it seems that some lenses should not be put on cameras with specific sensor specs. Is it the megapixel issue? I read a review on the SEL-16F28 that ended up NOT using this lens on a NEX-7.

So, how is it that a 24MP sensor can render a lens inapropriate compared to a 16MP sensor and how can we determine which lens to use according the MP of our camera sensor?

If a lens produces sharp details at the pixel level on a 16mp sensor but is not able to resolve the same sharpness on a 24 mp sensor, then I'd say don't use it on the 24mp sensor camera if you can help it, just because you're not taking full advantage of your more expensive 24mp sensor. Maybe try a more expensive lens, rather than Sony's cheapest?  What am I missing?

-- hide signature --

To see a world in a grain of sand and a heaven in a wild flower, hold Infinity in the palm of your hand and Eternity in an hour...

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow