Why is the A7 selling cheaper than the A99 ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,539Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is the A7 selling cheaper than the A99 ?
In reply to kartikjayaraman, 6 months ago

kartikjayaraman wrote:

Thanks KEH, great points, as usual from you. Thanks for all the information.

Not to go off topic, but it seems that the $800-$1000 premium is justified as some of you mentioned when comparing the A7/A7r to the A99. How about going from a A77K ($1400) to a A7K ($2000) - from an image quality stand point and "general use" - no professional use - is this premium worth it? Seems to me this premium is worth more than the premium you have to pay for an A99 over an A7/A7r. So considering the A77 scenario, I would like to know what you all think (Don't base this on what I am doing I would like your unbiased opinion).

Again to clarify, we are referring to the kits only - A77K (A77+SAL1650) vs A7K (A7+SEL 2870), don't consider existing lens selection. Just wanted to add that I absolutely love the sharpness of the SAL1650, its a gem of a lens.

-- hide signature --

If you are not shooting action.. Sports, birds in flight, fast moving kids, animals in action. The A7/A7R appear to be nice cameras.  have not touched one yet so work of reviews and postings..

The A7 does have Phase Detect on the Sensor so is better than the A7R but neither will focus as fast as the A77/A99 though you can fix that with the LEA4 adapter.

Now keep in mind with Focus Peaking and some old school manual focus practice and techniques you can also avoid problems with searching by using your self.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_A7/

The A7R is very specialized.. with no AA filter and no Phase Detect focus its pretty expensive

It comes down to Focus needs as the big decider between mirror and mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow