Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,088Gear list
Like?
So maybe this is a lousy image, too
In reply to DLeeT, 11 months ago

Since getting my SEL16F28 + UWA, I don't shoot 16mm often with my 1650PZ, and even less often with anything resembling full aperture - and even less with detail going right to all four corners.

I shoot RAW/jpeg - this is an out-of-camera jpeg.

Vineyards of Aigle Castle, France

I don't know if this is a good lens or a bad lens. All I know is whenever I use it, I get results that please me.

I don't own and 18-55 and have no intention of purchasing one.. It's a big honker by comparison, and I am not looking to acquire any big honkers. Any 99% of the comparison tests done on the forum are absolutely worthless - few own 4-5 randomly selected copies from different production runs of each compared lens.

My problem is that, despite my pushback, I am influenced negatively by the negativity on the forum toward this lens. Even though I often need to go to the EXIF to remember whether I shot an image with the PZ or with a Leica M lens, if the perspective suggests a 35mm or a 50mm.

I'm not trying for optical perfection, and I don't give a rat's rear if my corners, on very close inspection, are a bit soft. An NEX-6 is capable of making serious images, but in my book, it's just a fun camera.

More images with 16mm at near-open/optimum apertures:

Yeah, schmutz on sensor blown off later...

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow