Like?
Re: Idiot question alert - 52 focus points
In reply to TacticDesigns, 11 months ago

TacticDesigns wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Midwest wrote:

paul2009 wrote:

Be brutal. I need to learn.

Someone who knows he needs to learn is already smarter than the person who thinks he knows it all already.

Or as Socrates said, "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

Or maybe the quote of John F. Kennedy is more appropriate, "The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds."

When someone knows everything - live must be quite boring since you can learn nothing additional. When one stops learning his art form and improving his skill and craft is the day they are not longer a photographer.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

+ 2 million !!!

I love the quotes!

The way I describe it myself is . . . "I don't know what I don't know! You know?"

I mean . . . if you want to find out about something about a certain aspect about photography, there's a really good chance that you can type it into Google and something will get spit out . . . but the problem is . . . if you don't know something exists . . . how would you ever find it on Google in the first place? You don't know what you don't know! You know?

Former US Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld referred to it as the problem of unknown unknowns or as the quote goes, "... there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.  There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. There are also unknown unknowns - there are things we don know we do not know."

The unknown unknowns are the things you will never find in Google.  Those are the things that you come to know through reading the works of masters, workshops and courses and the experience of experimenting with your art and craft.

I saw this thread way back when . . . and I thought it was terrific! A potential for some random input . . . to learn something new . . .

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38985165

I tried posting the same request on another forum but there weren't many takers on giving something useful back. If someone asked for help . . . I'd like to think I'd try to offer assistance . . .

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow