Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
General Toner
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
Cheap wireless solution for utilizing android to control our DSLRs
11 months ago

I also posted this in the accessories forum but not all look in there.

Good morning all. There have been many questions on how to cheaply create a wireless linkage/control for the D800 and other cameras to tablets. I had looked at the wireless USB previously however it looked too clunky, then the CamRanger came about but it was too expensive for the few times I would use. I got a gift card to Amazon for Christmas and figured now is the time to put together a wireless solution for myself (just didn't realize how cheap it would be). The wireless router you are purchasing is the same one as the CamRanger, they relabel and load their own firmware (or so I understand).

I purchased the TP-LINK TL-MR3040 from Amazon for $30, with prime it had free shipping. I followed the directions in the below link using the 'factory' version of the router firmware update (you will only need one firmware update so don't bother downloading multiples). Amazon appears to be shipping v2.2 of the TL-MR3040, however it is easily identified by following instructions in link. I was able to follow these instructions and the entire unboxing to controling both my D90 & D800 was less than 15 minutes (I am not at all a network person, the instructions are that simple to follow).

This mobile router has some range to it. I have a sufficiently sized house and can't get far enough away to drop signal whether on same floor or another and number of walls between.

DSLRDashboard is the app that I use on Asus TF700 tablet and works perfectly. Previously I would add my keyboard to tablet in order to utilize the USB port on that (was too cheap to buy USB dongle for tablet as it was $20ish). This app supposedly works for both Canon and Nikon. When controlling my Nikon cameras it seems dang near every function (and more) from Nikon camera control pro is available. I don't know how he does it but this app is free on the android store, however deserves andonation based on quality. When I am shooting with the D800 I select raw plus basic jpeg and review the jpeg on tablet as this app controls camera and views raw/jpeg from memory cards (wirelessly).

Caveat:
This appears to only work for android. I tried Nikon's camera control pro (that I use with USB) and it won't recognize wirelessly. I have not found an app on the iphone that will control (without spending $300 for a CamRanger). I bought to TF700 primarily for USB controlling the D800 so not a big concern, but some may not have an android tablet/phone.

Think that's it, $30 (plus shipping) and 15-20 minutes time should be all that's needed (assuming have a tablet already).

Best of luck to others that want a simple and cheap solution like I did. I would normally not bother with posting things like this but it's just so cheap and works so well felt others would want to know about this solution. I have not shot any video or stills of operating this setup but if needed I will (heck may go ahead shoot some to show how well it works).

Amazon TL-MR3040

Link To Instructions

DSLRDashboard firmware (also listed in above instructions):
Firmware Update For Router

General Toner's gear list:General Toner's gear list
Nikon D800
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D800 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow