SONY NEX-3N -Tips and settings shooting indoors with low light

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Pi lover
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
Re: SONY NEX-3N -Tips and settings shooting indoors with low light
In reply to gear74, 8 months ago

gear74 wrote:

Hello guys can you recommend the best settings I should set in Manual mode or Appperture/Shutter priority when I am shooting indoors with low light ? The aim is to get the best and clearest possible shot. Thanks.

The answer will actually depend on the amount of light you get.  Start with the lens you own with the lowest F stop value.  As an example I've got a Konica lens, 57mm, F1.4 that collects lots of light.

Start playing.  Open the lens aperature as much as you can.  This lets the most light in but also gives a narrow depth of field which means very little in a shot is in focus.  As you close down the aperature less light is let in but DOF increases.  Shut down by one stop, lose half the light.

If you set ISO at 12,800 you'll get a lot of light.  Go to 25,600 and you get twice as much.  The high numbers are good for low light.  Note that when you take pictures as the ISO goes up the picture gets noisier (grainy) so people tend to stay lower ISO's if they can.  If you've got really low light though you will end up shooting a high ISO.

Shutter speed is the next variable.  With live view you can tell if it is too dark or not.  If it's too dark increase the shutter time.  As was pointed out in one post 1/60 catches a lot of slower action.  Try shooting a 1/3 of a second and notice how in focus things look.  You will likely have a lot of blur which isn't a focus  problem, it's the shakes.  I've seen people take very nice shots a 1/8 second though.

The last thing you'd like to pay attention to when taking the shot iis white balance.  I find auto white balance catches a lot of situations but you may want to check out multiple options to get the tones you like.

After shooting comes the post processing.  If you have something like one of the Adobe products they include an option called filters.  The filter you are likely to be interested in is the Noise filter.  It allows you to despeckle or reduce noise.

Start by just taking some shots at night at home to get a feel for things.  Note if you change to a slower lens every thing changes.

Enjoy.

Grant.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow