The "Best" Digital Camera for $700 or less?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wbb56
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
The "Best" Digital Camera for $700 or less?
9 months ago

I have been through a lot of digital cameras-still own quite a few. The two I use primarily now are an aging Nikon D40 with kit lens, 55-200mm, and 50mm prime; and the Sony Powershot S110.

I've been frustrated recently with the results of my photos. I take a photos of a wide range of subjects in wildly varying light. My daughter playing on the beach, her soccer games, school plays and events, sporting events, travel shots (mostly the S110)--lots of indoor pics of my daughter and son--some portrait work, etc.. I am not a pro by any means--just a reasonably knowledgeable amateur. So I know some of the problems are with the photographer, not the cameras.

With all that said, I am still looking to upgrade my camera arsenal and perhaps improve the quality of my photos. My budget for the new camera ~$700. A lot of great cameras seem to fall into the that range. Fuji XM-1, Olympus E-PM2 & E-PL5, Panasonic DMC-GF6 & GX-1 Nikon D3200 w/50mm Prime lens, etc..

Keys for me:

Price: ~$700 or less; Excellent photo quality; Excellent low light performance; Size (not looking for pocket-sized, but smaller, lighter is better); Good selection of lenses; Good, reasonably fast focus to capture my daughter's soccer games and other other medium-speed events.

Any help, suggestions from those who have experience with cameras that fit these criteria would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

wbb56's gear list:wbb56's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Canon PowerShot S110 Nikon D3200 Nikon D40 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow