SONY NEX-3N -Tips and settings shooting indoors with low light

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Pete_S
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
Re: SONY NEX-3N -Tips and settings shooting indoors with low light
In reply to gear74, 8 months ago

gear74 wrote:

Hello guys can you recommend the best settings I should set in Manual mode or Appperture/Shutter priority when I am shooting indoors with low light ? The aim is to get the best and clearest possible shot. Thanks.

Assuming you're avoiding using the flash the answer would depend on whether you need to freeze subject motion or not. In any case, stay at the wide angle end of the zoom and set auto ISO.

The default shutter speed at the wide end in A or P mode is 1/60th, which is good enough for people sitting down and not moving much. In P mode the camera often selects F4 rather than 3.5 (assuming you have the 16-50 kit power zoom). So, if you want the best quality (lowest ISO) at the expense of slightly softer corners, use aperture priority and force F3.5.

If there are people moving around, you need at least 1/125th shutter speed, so use shutter priority and set 1/125 or even 1/250 if there is a lot of movement.

If the scene is completely static (no people, or people posing motionless) you can rely on the image stabiliser and again use shutter priority to select 1/30th or even 1/15th if you have a steady hand. The camera will then only need a low ISO and overall quality will be best.

As was pointed out already, if you really must use the flash, bounce it off the ceiling by bending and holding it back. The ceiling must be quite low and white-ish colour, and because the flash is weak the camera will select a higher ISO, but at least all motion will be frozen. Good for an active party with dancing I imagine!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow