Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jtan163
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
South Australian Privacy law reform submissions sought
7 months ago

Please excuse the cross posting - I strongly suspect not everyone reads all the forums and want to make sure that I reach as many South Australian photographers and videographers as possible.

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news67482.html

The South Australian Law Reform Institute (SALRI) has just published an issues paper and is requesting submissions on the subject of of privacy law reform. The deadline for submissions is Friday 14 February 2014.

Submissions will be taken and a report will then be drafted.

There is not a great deal of info about the report or what it might lead to, apart from this media release which among other things says "After canvassing the views of South Australia's legal professionals, media, interested groups and the general public, the SALRI will prepare a final report setting out its findings and recommendations.".

However SALRI was constituted at the University of Adelaide in conjunction with the Law Society (the SA legal professional body) and the Attorney General's office, so there is a fair chance that the resulting report will end up with cabinet level scrutiny and possibly instigate changes to SA privacy law.

The report looks broadly at the current state of privacy law in South Australia and recaps recent reform and attempted reform of privacy law in SA and Australia generally.

There is obviously an implication here for photographers and videographers especially street photographers and documentarians.

SA is unusual in that there are actually already summary (misdemeanour) offences for making images images under certain situations, under part 5a of the Summary Offences Act 1953 .

I would encourage all South Australian and other interested photographers and videographers to take a look at the press release, skim the issues paper (it's a long 30+ pages) and consider making a submissions.

Making a submissions is apparently as easy as downloading the form, completing it and returning it via email.

You are not required to identify yourself and you can choose to not have you submission published if you choose.

Please note - I am not connected with SALRI or the report in any way other than as a local citizen and photographer concerned about possible adverse outcomes for photographers/videographers. I can't give you any more detail or info other than what is on the web pages/forms/pdfs.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow