Why is the A7 selling cheaper than the A99 ?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,610Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is the A7 selling cheaper than the A99 ?
In reply to kartikjayaraman, 11 months ago

kartikjayaraman wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

This is part of the problem with some Sony users.. I think some of them got into Minolta because of price and its not a discount brand anymore. and they have unrealistic expectations. That just on the facts of it don't make sense.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

Actually when I started shooting Sony, the A300 had some great features which caught my attention and yes the prices were pretty competitive. I am sure some users still see Sony/Minolta as a value brand (nothing wrong with that at all). However we need to realize that Nikon and Canon have been in the DSLR market for a long term and IMO have a much better selection of lenses than Sony/Minolta in the FF segment. Bodies come and go but lenses are the focal point of investment in a brand. I am not an expert on this but whenever I ask my friends they tell me that Sony might be great for the APS-C segment but Canon and Nikon rule the FF segment due to their FF lens arsenal.. Sony on the other hand has confused things by bringing up a new E mount for their FF lenses which cannot be used on their exiting A mount FF cameras.

-- hide signature --

The trick to not being confused is think mount first.

e-mount = SMALL Mirrorless, native AF is lower speed, limited controls. Only SOME lenses stabilized.. Lenses often one stop slower best Zooms F4 not F2.8

a-mount - Traditional SLR format, Faster AF, more controls especially in advanced, ALL lenses stabilized via body Premium lenses

There is an adapter.. but that is not optimal. It is there to bridge the gap for people who already have a-mount lenses. Like putting a trailer hitch on sports car to pull your boat..you can do it.. but not designed for it.

Its like cars.. don't start with I want 4 doors.. start with I want a sports car, sedan or SUV. Then work on Door and engine sizes once you have chosen a format.

While the sensors share some capabilities.. the camera, AF etc affects IQ also so you evaluate the sensor in the mount /camera just like you choose the car then the engine size.

Lens selection.. Forget the count... that is a marketing / BrandFan tactic.

Again what do you want to shoot?

Portraits = Sony has great 85mm F1.4

Macro = Sony has a lovely 100mm F2.8 1:1 macro

Standard Zoom = Again a really nice 24-70 F2.8 FF Zoom

Telephoto:  Midrange 70-300G, 70-400G  Then you move up to the F2.8 zooms and tele-converters.. 500mm F4.0

Wide Angle: 20MM F2.8, 16mm F2.8 fisheye,   16-35 f28 zoom

That is all Sony stock.. then there are some great Sigma and Tamron lenses..

Even some nice lower cost Manual Focus that will work better on Sony because of features like EVF focus peaking.

If offered a free A99 and 3 lenses or an Canon 5dMKIII and same three lenses.. I would take the Sony.. and I realize I may pay more the lovely Zeiss glass isn't bargain.

Sony has FF covered except for the extreme 1D X Sports platform..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow