A Mount Portrait Lens?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
rfielder
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?
Re: A Mount Portrait Lens?
In reply to Tipo21, 11 months ago

I have a Tamron 60mm F2 Macro lens, which is the equiv of 90mm on full frame.  A good length for tigher portraits - not super tight head shots, but anything further out.  The lens is quite sharp, and shooting at F2 to F4 you can use selective focus to put attention onto the subject.

Other lens are good, but for portraiture you need a large aperture and good sharpness when shooting at or close to full aperture.  The good news is that the sharpness does not need to extend to the very corners - the critical focus will usually be either centered, or on one of the magic thirds.

One other item that is essential is good focusing.  I did a few really good portrait sessions many years ago, working with a Mamiya C330 as well as Hasselblad and Rb67 cameras (the C330 was mine, the rest were studio gear).  Having the eyes sharp or not sharp makes a HUGE difference in the final product.  If the focus is not where you want it, people know.  They may not understand why they know something is wrong, but they know.

-- hide signature --

Robert Fielder
Brampton, ON, Canada

rfielder's gear list:rfielder's gear list
Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow