ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SaraS14
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Canon PowerShot SX500 IS
3 months ago

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum here, and am hoping someone can at least give me some good advice, or get me pointed in the right direction.

I received the SX500 for Christmas, and am very excited about. The problem I am running into is that I don't feel like I know how to use it. Which probably sounds odd.

The camera I have been using was a Nikon Cool Pix L100. It is very easy to use, and I really liked the fact that you could basically select what you were shooting, sunrise/sunset, beach, night portrait, macro, etc. This new one though, to be honest, I am intimidated by it. The main things I take pictures of are my kids, and the area where we live. So mostly people and scenery. Sometimes wild life if it wanders our way.

I've been trying every day to learn something new on it, or to just play with it, trying out different settings and such. I have to admit though, I am a fan of the miniature setting. I  just like how the photos look.

Anyway, I don't know what it is, but I don't feel like my photos are coming out...sharp looking. I try most of the time to shoot on auto. Figuring the camera knows what settings it needs to be on. I have no clue about the shutter speed, or aperture. I'm trying to learn those online.

Does anyone else have this camera? Did you struggle with it? A couple of relatives have the nice, big DSLR cameras, and they're telling me just to shoot on auto. That's what they do. Here's a couple of shots I took yesterday and today.

Thank you for any advice or tips!

Taken on the miniature setting, straight off the memory card.

I think this is where I'm getting frustrated. I don;t know if it's the water. I know I didn't go past the zoom limit, but this to me just seems fuzzy. I feel like the camera is focusing on what it wants, not what I'm trying to take a pic of.

Canon PowerShot SX500 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow