D7100 crop - what is it?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Tbolt47
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
Re: Or to make it redicliously simple!
In reply to jimoyer, 8 months ago

jimoyer wrote:

But that's where you're thinking wrong. If your subject is the same size to be properly framed in each image, it will exceed the available area on the cropped frame image.

To completely fill your image frame,, the subject will need to be larger in DX mode and smaller in 1.3x mode to produce an equivalent size in the final product. If you do that, all you are going to see until the subject arrives in your frame is the black outline of the DX frame. If you shoot the same image, with a slightly smaller subject that will fill the full image frame of 1.3x, it allows you a visible area outside that frame to anticipate when your subject will arrive in your frame.

You're thinking this through as if your subject size is going to be equal because you can just crop it in post which is certainly viable, but less than optimal when you're shooting 1000+ frames at a time during a professional sports game for example. The more you can accomplish in camera, the less you have to spend hours upon hours doing in post.

Like I've just said in the other post I think we both understand it but my point was that it's no different to doing it PP and to me capturing a larger area of the scene gives me more options to crop how I want. But if you don't PP at all then obviously the crop mode would allow your subject to fill a great percentage of you picture which I guess is what this mode is really about.

Personally since I only shoot raw anyway so I always PP and cropping a picture takes very little time (I often shoot over 1000 shots at events) and I would rather spend the time getting the pictures how I want them and not being a pro, it's not like I have a deadline to work to.

Tbolt47's gear list:Tbolt47's gear list
Olympus E-620 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OKNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow