Tbolt47
Senior MemberPosts: 1,397Gear list
Like?
OK
In reply to jimoyer, 6 months ago

jimoyer wrote:

Tbolt47 wrote:

jimoyer wrote:

And further, it allows you to see what is about to enter your frame and focal points prior to it entering allowing you to better anticipate action as it approaches.

I don't see your point here - if you were shooting un-cropped the pictures would be the same but with more around the edges of you or subject and surely you are less likely to accidentally crop part of your subject out of the picture if using the full frame. So to me shooting un-cropped is better (unless you really need the buffer room) as your are more likely to get a better framed shot after cropping in PP.

If you're shooting using the full DX sensor, what do you see outside the sensor/viewfinder? Nothing. That can make it difficult to time action shots prior to their entering your viewfinder/sensor.

Shooting in 1.3x crop, you have the remaining DX viewfinder, outside the crop viewfinder (see Mako's Sharpie) that is still visible to you unlike the full DX viewfinder in DX mode. So you can see what is about to enter your viewfinder using 1.3x crop that would be completely occluded using the DX viewfinder just prior to entering.

OK I think what you are trying to say if you wanted to capture your subject right on the edge of your picture it would be easier to do that in crop mode, but only in camera - the point I've been trying to make is it's no different than doing it in PP.

The only advantage I see of crop mode is to help with the fps/buffer and the better AF point coverage.

Tbolt47's gear list:Tbolt47's gear list
Olympus E-620 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OKNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow