Has anyone considered that the A7 is the retro version of the Minolta X-7?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
kuuan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,414Gear list
Like?
Re: Has anyone considered that the A7 is the retro version of the Minolta X-7?
In reply to nevercat, 8 months ago

nevercat wrote:

kuuan wrote:

nevercat wrote:

kuuan wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I would think that adding any kind of articulation would also add bulk, and a new location for the hot shoe.

I don't think that it would need to be more bulky as the hump of the A7 is now. The physical build of the EVF of the - by now almost 10 year old - Konica Minolta A2 still is my raw model, it not only has place for a hot shoe but even for a built in flash:

Konica Minolta A2

ok, ok, it has a much, much smaller LCD, but it doesn't have any hump.

Well in fact it does have a hump, not as big as the A7 but it has a hump look here:

And not only that it had more volume then the A7 too (A7: 127 x 94 x 48 mm, A2: 117 x 85 x 114 mm) So I think the A7 will go easier in a ba then the A2, and the A7 has a larger Sensor, a better and higher resolutien EVF and a larger LCD.

I am also fine with the 'shape' of my NEX5N with it's EVF mounted

Konica Minolta A2 and Sony NEX5N

but if it was integrated, as compared to the 5N, the added spaces right ( and left ) of the EVF could be used for buttons. I prefer buttons to be rather on right top side of the camera then on the back where they are more useful for people using the LCD. I also like the solution of the Panasonic GX7 which has hotshoe, integrated flash and articulating EVF lined up on top of the camera

taken from: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/panasonic-gx7-1168602/review

The GX7 is a nice camera indeed, but Panasonic had to use a sensor that has about 1/4 of the surface area of the A7.

But I do like the solution of the tilting EVF!

In the end I do think that if you like the hump on top or not is more a taste thing than a realy practicle thing...

cheers, kuuan

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Ricoh GXR M, Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

alright, let's say the A2 has a hump too ( I know the camera well, have used it extensively, the photo of the A2 and 5N seen are my cameras ). I don't mind whatever someone calls it, one also could say the housing of the integrated flash and the hotshoe protrude.

I'm with youon this. The hump on the A7 is a lot more then the "hump"on the A2.

Personally I am not against a hump, just I think that as it was implemented in the A7 it was for designs reasons to get a classic look, to be more easily accepted by the majority of users. For the much anticipated first FF I think this was a very smart move by Sony. However an EVF better be articulating but this was sacrificed for the classic look, for me Sony here opted for design over functionality

As I said with the GX7 the design with an articulating EVF is great. I don't know if there is room in the A7 as it is for an articulating EVF withhout making the camera (a lot) bigger. So yes it is a design choice they made: make the camera overall smaller but with a fixed EVF(like moste digital cameras with EVF), but I do hope there will come some Nex styled cameras in the (near) future. I see no reason why Sony will abandon that path, as it is sucdcessfull. Maybe even an Nex 5 look alike FF camera, there is a patent out there for such a camera...

Handling of the A2 was, still is exemplary, amazing, really. For me Sony did very, very well designing the A7, similar to the A2, rather short but high with a good grip, very good handling. The A2 took that even further and I believe it can be done similarly for a mirrorless FF, the articulating EVF integrated still leaving space for a hotshoe and built in flash.

I never had an A2, but the F707 from Sony. That camera had a body that fliped up and down. it was a great working camera too. And Minolta was known for its great ergonomy, I just loved my 7D.

The design of the NEX line was more daring. Personally I hope that Sony won't leave those who prefer the RF look to the SLR look out in the cold and expect that there will be future FF mirrorless cameras from Sony that cater to these users.

I don't think Sony will leave it at all. As it was a success in Asia and Europe, why kill the goose that lays golden eggs?

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Ricoh GXR M, Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

right, I am also sure that we will see more NEX styled cameras

that time I was considering the Sony F707 too, there also was a Nikon that was competing, but I preferred the A2 and dearly love it

New Samsung NX30 ( ok, not FF but APS-C ) has integrated EVF that extends and tilts with both hot show and integrated flip up flash, all inside the same 'hump'

taken from: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/01/02/first-impressions-samsung-nx30/

comes closest to what I have in mind and I expect that a similar design will become 'standard'

-- hide signature --

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow