Regular MemberPosts: 407Gear list
Like?
Re: couldn't disagree more with SergioSpain
In reply to brick33308, 8 months ago

brick33308 wrote:

SergioSpain wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

SergioSpain wrote:

Why are you trying to teach yourself to shoot in manual? What do you think you can achieve in manual that you can't achieve in one of the automatic modes in combination with exposure compensation and the various metering modes?

shooting manual is the best way to understand relationship of shutter speed, aperture setting and ISO, and how for example varying them but maintaining the same exposure level can create differences in depth of field, affects on moving water, etc. So if you want no creative control over your photography, then by all means follow SergioSpain's advice and put your camera in pure idiot mode. But if you want to actually learn to be a photographer and use your camera for what it is - simply a tool to implement what your mind (as opposed to the in-camera metering chooses), then keep your camera in manual mode and pay attention to what settings produce what kinds of images.

And along these lines, I've returned to manual focus with a couple of Voigtlander lenses I recently acquired.

you're a little bit late to the discussion and we've already covered every side of this argument. But for you to say that auto modes give you no creative control and that people that use an auto mode are idiots sounds extremely snobbish/rude/condescending/etc. to me. Look at all the great stuff Joe McNally produces. And he's not using manual in any of the videos I've seen him in. But hey, if you like to think you have more control by going full manual and that using manual makes you a better photographer then more power to you.

you are SO missing the point. And the point is CONTROL. If you want to cede control to the camera instead of making your own decisions and what makes sense for the images you want to produce, then as you said, "more power to you".

as I said, you are WAY late to this discussion and I'm not going to rehash all my (and other people's) arguments for your benefit. Read all 5 pages' worth of comments. I stand by my argument and I SO do get it.

SergioSpain's gear list:SergioSpain's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow