Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pete_S
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
Re: Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report
In reply to dan801, 9 months ago

Just adding another opinion to an old thread.

I recently purchased the 3N with the above lens as an update to my old NEX-3 with 18-55 and was very surprised at the quality of the 16-50.  Over most of the frame from 20mm onwards it's  better than the 18-55 and at 16mm it's vastly better than the 16/2.8.  I've never been happy with the original kit lenses, both in regards to centering and general sharpness, and the new 16-50 is very pleasing.  Even the IS is better than the IS in the 18-55, which never did much to my mind.

Maybe it's because I have early samples of the original kit lenses and a later example of the new one.  It's possible that Sony tightened up production after the initial luke warm reviews.

I should add that I have in camera sharpening set at minimum and also use old Pentax primes on my original NEX-3, so I do understand what lens sharpness rather than artificial sharpening means

The 16-50 seems an amazing feat of design taking size, weight, and price into consideration.  I'm tempted to carry my 3N around instead of my RX-100, which I've always had lens sharpness/centering and IS issues with, probably because of having a slightly poor sample.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow