Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
Re: D610 long-exposure noise
In reply to juliancd38, 7 months ago

juliancd38 wrote:

Hi all,
I've been shooting with a D5000 for several years now, and consider myself relatively competent in terms of photography. I recently upgraded to the D610 and brought it on vacation with me—the dynamic range, resolution, and high-ISO clarity are obviously not even in competition with my old D5000.
However, I often do super long-exposure nightscapes, and my first few such images with the D610 seem extremely noisy. Here's an example:

A couple closer looks:

D610 + Nikkor 28 mm f/1.8 at f/8 and ISO 250 for 170 seconds. Shot RAW+jpeg, no editing done whatsoever. I understand that after 30 seconds, noise will increase incrementally, and much of it can be removed digitally. However, I've never seen such widespread large purple, red, green, etc. plus-sign-shaped artifacts on exposures just a few minutes long.
I've done many 15-minute+ exposures with my D5000 that seem appreciably cleaner than my first few D610 exposures between 2 and 5 minutes long. I don't know what to think, other than that I'm somewhat disappointed. I suppose my questions can be summed up as follows:

1) Is this a normal amount of noise for the D610 sensor?

2) I know there are endless subtle differences in characteristics between full frame and crop sensor cameras. Is increased LE noise (as a trade-off for reduced high ISO noise) one of them?

3) What can be done to reduce this?

4) I love my Nikon lenses, but it may be feasible for me to switch brands if the Canon 6D is truly better at handling high-ISO/long-exposures, as I've been told. Should I consider this option?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I were just posting these online, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable printing these to any significant size.

Julian

Go for the Canon 6D, but I doubt you'll see any significant difference. I was told by one of our very technically sophisticated members that D610 is better at low iso's, and 6D is slightly better at high iso's.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow