Why is the A7 selling cheaper than the A99 ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,769Gear list
Like?
Because the A99 is a complete camera
In reply to kartikjayaraman, 6 months ago

kartikjayaraman wrote:

Sony Alpha a7 Mirrorless Digital Camera with FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens

$1998

Sony A77 with no lenses

$2798

I understand that A99 has a better lens selection as of now, however Sony & third parties are definitely pushing for many more E mount lenses in 2014. I know A7 lacks in some features related to the A99 (AF, IBS etc) but does that really warrant a difference a $800 difference? The image quality for A7 supposedly far surpasses the A99 with E mount lenses and high ISO performance is better.

Do you think the A7 is selling at a discount right now because it was Sony's first "experimental" model? Actually the A7r is selling for $2298 (still cheaper than the A99) but has image quality right up at the top with its massive 36 MP clarity (possibly due to the lack of AA filter). Given a choice, which one would you go for NOW?

-- hide signature --

I have an A99 and A7r, the A99 is much more complete as a camera - ignoring bonus feature counts - ergonomically it works better with a wider variety of lenses, IBIS can be a big deal to some and if I could only have one to shoot everything it would be the A99.

The reasons that I would choose the A99 are ergonomics, native lens choices, IBIS, AF (especially the AF limit), battery life and the movements of the screen.  A7r wins on compactness, compatibility with lenses and IQ - but the A99 is good enough, I'm just greedy!
The A7 and A7r are very good value but they are more of a niche product (it wouldn't surprise me if they outsold the SLT line but in terms of where they sit in the landscape of all cameras - they are niche).

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow