Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
Re: K50 with legacy lenses
In reply to australopithecus, 6 months ago

australopithecus wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

australopithecus wrote:

I know that all of Pentax's DSLRs from the 1stD to today's K50 & K500 will take Pentax M & A series "legacy" lenses and will even, with an adaptor, accept Takumar screw-mount lenses.

Has anyone used some of these lenses on the newer Pentax DSLR bodies (especially those with a focus-peaking function). If so a couple of questions:

• We hear that older glass is not "tuned", "adapted" to/for digital photography, yet I've used several Pentax legacy lenses on my micro four-thirds Panasonic G1 body, with an adaptor with reasonable results. I would presume that the K-Mount legacy lenses would perform pretty well on the newer Pentax DSLR bodies ?
  • How effective IS focus-peaking as one has to manually focus older glass ? I am aware that many of us used manual (focussing) lenses in the past, but for ageing eyes any form of assistance would be welcome !
-- hide signature --

Dave

I usually only use my eyes as they are fine and only in my 30's. I only really use focus peaking for macro work on a tripod with the K30's x6 times magnification. To be honest if your eyes aren't good it may also be difficult to see the focus peaking on the screen, it is hard enough for me to see the indication. I imagine a focussing screen hood would help this.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

Simon,

At 72 my eyes are still fine, just need reading glasses (+2). Nevertheless, it is interesting to read your comments on focus-peaking.

I am actually a micro-four-thirds fan but have three beautifully built Pentax legacy lenses, a 24mm/f2.8 A series (which would end up as an extremely useful 36mm/f2.8), a 50mm/f1.7 M and a 135mm/f2.5 M and am itching to use them. Despite the size of DSLRs, I find the K50 very very tempting !

-- hide signature --

Dave

Dave,

The K50 is probably THE most under-rated camera released this year, probably because it is a 're-shaped' K30 and it gained a few accolades but not enough in my opinion. All I can say is buy one or a K30 as they really are virtually identical in specs. I would say buy either and you will love it.

Those lenses are all top notch and deserve a Pentax body. Yes I'd love a 24mm and on APS-C it is a very useful focal length. In M 'manual' mode you need to press the famous green button to achieve a correct exposure reading.

With 'M' lenses in M mode you can hear the lens being stopped down and the correct exposure reading acquired.

With 'A' lenses in M mode you also need to press the green button and if the 'A' lense's aperture ring is set to A (you compare your M lens to your A lens you will see the A lens has an A setting on the aperture ring) the won't hear the lens being stopped down.

Both M and A lens varieties work with Av mode also.

Sorry if this sounds like double dutch.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow