Idiot question alert - 52 focus points

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,740
Like?
Re: Idiot question alert - 52 focus points
In reply to SergioSpain, 6 months ago

SergioSpain wrote:

I couldn't have said it better myself. A lot of people like to shoot in manual because it makes them feel more in control of the shot, when in reality, if they're using the camera's meter, all they're doing is making more work for themselves by fiddling with the dials. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as they don't preach to everyone about how manual is the only way to go.

Yes, I believe that is the truth. The snobs always will claim that they shoot 100% manual, not using any auto features, yet I bet they look at histograms and if the curve is "wrong" they just take another shot, or they just center the "needle" using the meter built in the camera. This approach is fine if one likes to do it that way, but no, it is not the "right" approach, it is basically pointless. I use manual mode if I want to lock all or at least some parameters, but I don't think there is any sane reason to switch every auto parameter off, including the histogram and the meter. As a matter of fact, I don't think there is anyone out there shooting in true manual mode, no AF no AWB, no Auto ISO, meter covered (I know it isn't possible, just saying) and NEVER looking at the histogram. I think that's just pure nonsense. Of course people on rely on some kind of automatic function, be that Aperture or Shutter priority, AWB or Auto ISO, and I think people in general (except some very few nerds) use AF or some other focusing aid, so all that preaching against auto modes is nothing but snobbish nonsense.

Let's face it, the exposure triangle is just not that hard to learn. We may like to think it is to feel smarter, but it's not rocket science.

Exactly. Even a child quickly understands the logic and there is no need for more. Our eyes and brains are no light meters, we can only guess the light and we are actually not very good at guessing in difficult conditions. The importance is to understand the relationship between light, aperture, shutter speed and ISO, and that does not take very long for any normal human being to understand. Metering is best done using a meter, not our eyes and brains.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow