Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Panasonic 20mm on EM5
Jan 3, 2014

Hi guys,

First post here, so be gentle!

So I just purchased my EM5 (loving it!) and decided micro 4/3 suits me best after owning a few Nikon DSLRs over the years, and would like to start investing in some glass.

I got the camera with the 12-50 kit lens, and I got a great deal on the Olympus 45mm. I'm in love with the 45 right now, but I'd like to get something a little wider for landscapes/street/walk around purposes.

So far, I've been leaning towards the Olympus 17mm for the metal build and 35mm equiv., but I've heard a lot of good things about the Panasonic 20mm and that it's a tiny bit sharper, and about $100 less.

However, I'm apprehensive about the Panasonic. I can live with losing a tiny bit in focal length, the metal body of the Olympus, and AF speed, but I've heard it has issues with banding on Olympus bodies, and since I would primarily be using it low light, is kind of an issue for me.

I have heard Olympus was planning some firmware updates to fix it, but I can't seem to find any news about it since this time last year.

So I guess my question is: Does the Panasonic still have large banding issues on an EM5? Or should I just spend an extra hundred bucks for the build quality, auto foucus, and extra bit of width of the Oly 17mm?

This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow